Letters of Recommendation
I am indebted to Mike Orrison of Harvey Mudd College for sharing this "recommendations" page!!
If you are a student and would like me to write a letter of recommendation for you, please do the following:
Please, please send me e-mail reminders as the deadlines approach, on
this time table:
- At least three weeks before the letter of recommendation is due, ask me if I am able to
write you a recommendation.
- If I agree to write you a letter, then at least 2 weeks before the letter is due,
please give me hardcopy (not e-mail) of the following:
- A list of all places you are applying, in order of deadlines.
- A copy of your transcript.
- A copy of the personal statement from your application
- Any necessary forms.
- Envelopes, with addresses on them
(stamped is preferable but if that is a hardship don't worry about it).
- Answers to the following questions:
- What is your name, year, and major?
- For what are you applying? (scholarship, graduate school, etc.)
- How long have I known you (years/months), and what is my
relationship(s) to you (instructor, advisor, etc.)?
Have you graded or tutored for me? If so, for what class(es) and
- What makes me particularly qualified to write a letter for you?
- What classes did you take from me, and what final grade(s) did you earn?
How did you distinguish yourself in my class(es)?
Remind me of any project topics you may have done, or any particularly
unusual performance in any aspect of the course.
- How would you describe yourself?
- What are some of your academic accomplishments?
- What are some of your nonacademic accomplishments?
- What makes you particularly qualified for this position/honor/award?
- What are your long term goals and will this position/honor/award help? If so, how?
- Additional comments (REU's, summer research, interesting jobs,
hobbies, ways in which you've shown leadership skills or
Do let me know if there are other ways you can make the letter-writing
process go smoothly for you and your letter writers. Good luck!
- First reminder: 2 weeks prior
- Second reminder: 1 week prior
- Daily reminders thereafter, until I send you back an e-mail
saying I've done them.
Back to Main